Centralized sharing [Was: (no subject)]

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Tue May 15 12:40:48 GMT 2001

"Christopher R. Hertel" wrote:
> The new way:  Use the DFS code to combine all of the shares into one
>               virtual share.  See the 'host msdfs' parameter in the
>               smb.conf(5) man page as a starting point.

	Can someone on the list (preferably the person
	who got dfs running) write a short note on what
	they achieved?

	Back in November 1999 Luke wrote:
--
however, there are limitations: the path
name that is passed across is the FULL dfs path name

ms's dfs implementation is weird: there appears to be a large burden
placed on the client, and the ms dfs client acts REALLY strange:
attempting to do SMBgetatr on mount points; doing NTcreateX on mount
points; attempting to create \server\dfs-mount\DESKTOP.INI ?????!
--

	Ms sdescribes it at:
	http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/fileprint/exec/feature/DFSWP.asp

> Not all clients can talk to DFS shares, so consider your environment.

	What ones fail? I'd suspect WfW and perhaps Warp...

> This question should really be on the samba at samba.org list, BTW.

	Redirected to samba-docs, as we need a how-to.

--dave
Performance & Engineering Team | some people and astonish the rest.
Americas Customer Engineering  |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com