Centralized sharing [Was: (no subject)]

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Mon May 14 20:06:15 GMT 2001

Two ways I can think of:

The old way:  Mount the shares on the samba server using smbmount
              (assuming it's a Linux box).  Reshare the mounted shares.
              This also reportedly works with NFS.

The new way:  Use the DFS code to combine all of the shares into one
              virtual share.  See the 'host msdfs' parameter in the
              smb.conf(5) man page as a starting point.

Not all clients can talk to DFS shares, so consider your environment.

This question should really be on the samba at samba.org list, BTW.

Chris -)-----