printing, locking, etc in 2.2.0

David Lee T.D.Lee at durham.ac.uk
Fri May 11 14:14:58 GMT 2001

On Fri, 11 May 2001, Dmitry Melekhov wrote:

> 2. Locking
>
>   When user _correctly_ log off, or client crash locks still remains:
>
>  Samba version 2.2.0
> Service      uid      gid      pid     machine
> print$       dm       dm       23513   dm-w2k   (192.168.21.112) Thu May

> dit          dryahlov dit      12394   dryahlov (192.168.21.16) Thu May
> common       ansi     common   10305   anastasia (192.168.21.15) Thu May

> msoffice20   musihina msoffice 23129   tanya    (192.168.21.46) Thu May
> common       dryahlov common   12394   dryahlov (192.168.21.16) Thu May
> IPC$         dm       dm       23513   dm-w2k   (192.168.21.112) Thu May

> Locked files:
> Pid    DenyMode   R/W        Oplock           Name
> 5346   DENY_DOS   RDONLY     NONE
> /usr/print/WIN40/hpbfab.ddu   Thu May 10 18:45:59 2001
>

> As you see there is no such pid- 5346 , but lock is still exists! This
> make samba unusable for
> file server applications!

When I first installed 2.2.0, we seemed to get bitten by a bug (quotas
over NFS), since fixed, that caused smbd to SEGV and vanish.  But it left
behind some apparently locked files, and subsequent attempts by the user
(on a new smbd, of course) to access their files failed.  It seemed unable
to break the lock despite (or because of?) the original process having
gone.

OK, that particular quota bug has since been fixed.  But the example
suggests a residual problem with unbreakable locks when an smbd has
vanished into a "shouldn't happen" hole...

Alas, no more details, and oplocks are a complete mystery to me, so I
wouldn't know how to begin to pursue it.  Hopefully someone with
familiarity with oplocks mechanisms and Samba's oplock code might spot
something...?