enumprinters

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Thu May 10 16:01:32 GMT 2001

Copied response to Samba tech ML.  Hope that is ok.

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Dan Ohnesorg wrote:

> On Wed, 9 May 2001, Gerald Carter wrote:
>
> > > If I run ./rpcclient tank -U root -c 'enumprinters' on a 'small'
> > > printcap file (10- printers) it runs ok if i try a larger printcap
> > > file (50+) it fails.
> >
> > Thanks for the information.  I'll test with a larger printcap.
> > I wonder if we are hitting a memory limit somewhere?
>
> In the Czech list about samba are people reporting, that they cannot
> enmumerate users with more than 128 people in smbpasswd and some info
> (name, address, telephon) in passwd.
>
> It looks very similiar, but I have until now no usable error log.

Basically the bottom line is that any client side RPC which needs to read
a PDU > MAX_PDU_SIZE (~5.6K) will fail because we don't fragment the read
request properly.  This can include enumerating printers, drivers, users,
groups, etc...

Thanks for the additional information.

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com