smbd 2.2.0; Solaris; memory leak?

David Lee T.D.Lee at durham.ac.uk
Wed May 9 14:36:17 GMT 2001

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Gerald Carter wrote:

> On Wed, 09 May 2001 04:52:51 David Lee wrote:
> >
> > Earlier this morning I installed 2.2.0 on this main
> > server, and already in those few hours the smbd processes
> > have grown from a shade under 4MB to almost 5MB. Thus, far
> > from being fixed, the memory leakage in 2.2.0
> > seems worse than in 2.0.7 .
> >
> > Are there any known memory-leak problems (and fixes??) in 2.2.0 ?
>
> David,
>
> While bugs are always possible, Jeremy is fairly diligent
> about running the 2.2 code under Insure to trap leaks.
> Are you sure you are not just seeing normal memory usage?
> Does this size continue to grow without bounds?
>
> Do you have a lareg printcap file being autoloaded?  Or
> maybe just a large number of shares?

Thanks for the reply, Gerry.  Appreciated.

I wasn't sure about sending the message so early (just a few hours) after
upgrading.  But I eventually decided to because:

o   the impact on our service of a memory leak could be significant;

o   based on (admittedly scanty) comparison evidence, it "felt" worse
    than 2.0.7;

o   there just might have been a "known" issue (such as, by analogy, that
    with 2.2.0's NFS quotas occasionally causing a SEGV (now fixed)).

Don't worry too much at present.  But if you stumble across something,
please let me know.

I'll keep an eye on it.  (It seems stable at present, so it may just have
been a false alarm.  OTOH...)

Thanks again.