Samba and PAM

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Fri Mar 30 05:58:42 GMT 2001

At 12:40 AM 3/30/01 -0500, Eric Reischer wrote:
>At 12:22 AM 3/30/01 , Richard Sharpe wrote:

>> days
>>
>>Hmmm, do you have a file in /etc/pam.d called samba?
>
>Yes.  But if it were checking PAM for authentication, then it would say
>something in the debugging screen, wouldn't it?

Which debugging screen are you talking about?

I don't curretnly run with PAM under Linux, and should, but I recall
looking at this a while back, and apart from insisting on with-pam you had
to have the appropriate file in /etc/pam.d called samba (I have a samba.bkp
at the moment).

>>Does it have the correct entries in it?
>>
>>If not, then you will get denied ...
>
>It should.  I copied them from another service.  (Actually, the file was
>already there from the Debian install, but I changed the entries to use the
>PAM modules I wanted to).  I'm wondering if it should be called smbd rather
>than samba, since that is the binary that is making the call......

No, I think samba is correct. Now you get to debug this ... I might look at
this a bit tonight ...

>> >I believe Samba only uses PAM for the Unix account side of things (ie,
>> >not authentication, but permissions and RID mapping). Unless you have
>> >configured Samba and all of your Windows machines to not encrypt
>> >passwords. All of this is explained in detail in a text file in the
>> >Samba documentation, I believe.
>> >
>> >Hope it helps,
>> >Matt
>> >

>>Regards
>>-------
>>Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com
>>Samba (Team member, www.samba.org), Ethereal (Team member, www.ethereal.com)
>>Contributing author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
>>Author, Special Edition, Using Samba

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com