Samba and PAM

Eric Reischer emr at engr.de.psu.edu
Fri Mar 30 05:40:51 GMT 2001

At 12:22 AM 3/30/01 , Richard Sharpe wrote:
>At 03:23 PM 3/30/01 +0930, Matthew Geddes wrote:
> >Eric Reischer wrote:
> >>
> >> I've been trying to get samba to authenticate against PAM for a couple
> days
> >> now, but unfortunately have not been successful.  I am using the 2.2alpha3
> >> version (freshly compiled) on a Debian Linux 2.2 machine.  I specified
> >> --with-pam at configure time, but when I try to connect to a shared
> >> service, I get invalid password.  It checks (in order):
>
>Hmmm, do you have a file in /etc/pam.d called samba?

Yes.  But if it were checking PAM for authentication, then it would say
something in the debugging screen, wouldn't it?

>Does it have the correct entries in it?
>
>If not, then you will get denied ...

It should.  I copied them from another service.  (Actually, the file was
already there from the Debian install, but I changed the entries to use the
PAM modules I wanted to).  I'm wondering if it should be called smbd rather
than samba, since that is the binary that is making the call......