WINS and international netbios names

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Fri Mar 30 05:09:55 GMT 2001

> > PS: What's NBNS?
> >

> NetBIOS Name Service -- another way of saying WINS

Well...  The NetBIOS Name Service includes 'B' mode activity, which is
accomplished without the existance of a server.  In the RFCs, the term
NBNS refers to the server (as you correctly point out).  The server is
only needed for P and M mode activity (and H mode, though H mode was added
by Microsoft after the RFCs were published).

So, being pedantic (it's what I do best!), the service as a whole is the
NetBIOS Name Service, and the server required for cross-subnet name
resolution is the NBNS, or NetBIOS Name Service Server.

The terminology is not the best, but I like "NBNS" better than "WINS".

Chris -)----