WINS and international netbios names

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Fri Mar 30 05:04:21 GMT 2001

> Well I'm pretty sure it's a bug in the NT WINS server.  I can
> watch the WINS request for machine A be sent to machine A (it's
> also the WINS server) and the response comes back negative!!!

Hmmm...

> I was curious if anyone else had seen this problem and whether
> there was a workaround.

I haven't seen it, but I haven't looked.

> PS: What's NBNS?

NetBIOS Nameservice Server.  WINS is just an example of an NBNS.  RFC
1001/1002 define three services and two servers.  The services are:

- NetBIOS Name Service
- NetBIOS Datagram Distribution Service
- NetBIOS Session Service

The servers defined are:

- the NBNS
- the NBDD

The NBNS is what we commonly call WINS (because Microsoft's NBNS is called
WINS, for Windows Internet Name Server--a very misguided name).  Microsoft
never bothered to implement an NBDD, which breaks a lot of things.

Chris -)-----