Browse List Mangling

Tim Potter tpot at linuxcare.com.au
Thu Mar 29 05:56:39 GMT 2001

Martin Sheppard writes:

> We are in the situation where we will end up consolidating over 5000
> computers into a single Windows 2000 domain. As a result we will end up
> with a a rather large browse list for this domain, which it will be no fun
> using. I am working on a possible solution to this problem by setting samba
> up as a local master browser for the domain and getting it to alter the
> browse lists that it serves out in various ways.

Sounds neat!

> Would a generic mechanism for doing browse list mangling be of interest to
> other people?

How do you handle locking of the browse.dat file?  Can smbd/nmbd
try to read the file while it is being written by your perl
script?

How about something like a 'browse list filter' hook that calls
some program and returns yea or nay for adding a name or returns
a modified name and type.

Tim.