Ownership of Samba code [Was: Re: VxFS quotas]

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Wed Mar 28 07:22:12 GMT 2001

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, andrew morgan wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Jeremy Allison wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 11:23:04AM -0600, Gerald Carter wrote:
> >
> > > Dodging the issue of ownership, all code contributed to Samba
> > > is released under the GPL, so it may be a better idea to
> > > ask is the GPL compatible with NetaTalk's license. I haven't
> > > looked so I can't comment.
> >
> > No it isn't. Netatalk is BSD licensed. This has been an
> > issue in the past with Netatalk being able to benefit from
> > the Samba share mode code, but we can't give it to them
> > under that license.
>
> Excellent, another reason for netatalk to go GPL.  There has been
> (understandably) a heated discussion about this on the netatalk lists.
> One question is the legality of changing the license from BSD to GPL.  Is
> this possible?  Do we just branch at some point, saying that the code is
> now GPL, or do we need permission from every person that has contributed
> code?

The BSD license says that the code may be reused provide that you mention
the copyright holder, so branching it and adopting GPL license wouldn't
fall in this definition?

> Would it be okay for me to use the VxFS quota code in my own local
> installation of netatalk as long as I do not release it to the public?

GPL oblige you to release the source code if you redristibute the modified
program, I really does not think anyone can come to your home and pretend
to check the code you compile for personale use!

--
Simo Sorce - Linux Systems Consultant
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel: +39 0348 7149179 - Fax: +39 02 700442399