Ownership of Samba code [Was: Re: VxFS quotas]

Scott Gifford sgifford at tir.com
Tue Mar 27 19:50:37 GMT 2001

andrew morgan <morgan at orst.edu> writes:

> On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Jeremy Allison wrote:

[...]

> > No it isn't. Netatalk is BSD licensed. This has been an
> > issue in the past with Netatalk being able to benefit from
> > the Samba share mode code, but we can't give it to them
> > under that license.

[...]

> Would it be okay for me to use the VxFS quota code in my own local
> installation of netatalk as long as I do not release it to the public?
> Obviously I could do this covertly anyways, but I'd rather do this right.
> :P

Yes, the GPL allows that.

You could also release the patch independently, and license the patch
under the GPL.

You also may be able to apply your patch to netatalk, then release
your own modified version under the GPL (essentially forking
netatalk).  The standard BSD license permits this, but some modified
versions (like the one that OpenBSD uses) explicitly disallow this.

------ScottG.