Ownership of Samba code [Was: Re: VxFS quotas]

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Tue Mar 27 18:03:51 GMT 2001

> Excellent, another reason for netatalk to go GPL.  There has been
> (understandably) a heated discussion about this on the netatalk lists.
> One question is the legality of changing the license from BSD to GPL.  Is
> this possible?  Do we just branch at some point, saying that the code is
> now GPL, or do we need permission from every person that has contributed
> code?

Read the license.  If it really is the BSD license then I believe that you
may release the code under the GPL as long as you follow the BSD
requirement that the original copyright information is kept with the code.
Making sure that this particular requirement is met (and continues to be
met by derivative works) is probably the sticking point.  There may be a
'standard' way to do this, but I don't know.

> Would it be okay for me to use the VxFS quota code in my own local
> installation of netatalk as long as I do not release it to the public?
> Obviously I could do this covertly anyways, but I'd rather do this right.
> :P

Again, read the GPL.  I *believe* that it states that you may create
derivative works for your own use without the requirement that you
redistribute the source, *provided* that you do not distribute the
binaries either.  Anyone with access to the binaries must also have access
to the source.  Check me on this.

Chris -)-----