International charset in path/file names

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Tue Mar 27 07:42:12 GMT 2001

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Matthew Geier wrote:

>  I assume this is some sort of unicode mapping problem - I noticed
> looking at these files and folders in DOS

Samba, lacking unicode support (except for the really experimental support
in the really experimental samba version), needs you to define codepages
in smb.conf (character set/client code page) to translate between client
and server.

"Asian characters" may not be supported as a code page, I don't know. It
may be possible to create codepages if they are missing. code pages are
enough for most east/west european non-englishness, asian non-englishness
doesn't always fit into 256 bytes.

Someone sent me a patch giving some kind of utf8 support to samba 2.0.7. I
suggested he ask here (or somewhere) on how to get it added to the
'contributed' directory on the samba ftp. The patch has a few limitations
and so, but it works for them.

If you want it I can send it to you. If someone knows how to get it into
"contrib", I think that would be a good idea.

/Urban