FrameMaker/SAMBA issue

Gregory Whynott gwhynott at
Thu Mar 22 16:33:45 GMT 2001

> > The image format of choice by FrameMaker folk tend
> > to be TIFFs.  SAMBA it seems has a hard time
> > opening Tiffs in an efficient manner.  Replace the
> > TIFFs with almost any other image file format and
> > performance shoots threw the roof even if they are
> > of the same size.  (thankfully microsloth didn't
> > use tiffs in any of the benchmarks  they
> > sponsored).  In a high debug mode you can see
> > SAMBA stuck in a routine that it seems to execute
> > several times per TIF file.  I also noticed if you
> > reduce the TIF to 256 shades of gray things speed
> > up considerably as well.
> Which routine?  That would help a lot.

Sorry- I figured people interested at looking into
the problem would set up test documents.

Some additional information:

The 'image' dir has 1670 image files in it.  Its a
common image store for many projects.  I mention
this as the debug output also seems to spend time
in mangle.c,  apparently looking at every file
regardless if it is required for the project or
not. This dir does contain quite a few files. I
have the option set under the share: mangled names
= no

lib/util.c is the routine it seems to spend much
of its time in while working with TIFFs.

One thing I didn't test that I will today, is to
accretion if it is perhaps the amount of files in
the dir.  When I converted the files to other
formats,  they were loaded outside of the main
'image' dir.

take care and thanks for your interest.


More information about the samba-technical mailing list