Patches for Solaris 8 compile

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Fri Mar 9 22:08:09 GMT 2001

Jeremy Allison wrote:

> Toomas Soome wrote:
> >
> > ah, at last some feedback:)
> >
> > the alternative way is to let utmp logging as it is and use the same idea
> > as dtlogin (CDE login) does in solaris - dtlogin does register sessions on
> > line /dev/dtremote, so you can see logins on line dtremote. and:
> >
> > [144] tsoome at madli:hs/txt> ls -l /dev/dtremote
> > lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           9 24. apr  2000 /dev/dtremote ->
> > /dev/null
> >
> > so, I found this idea to be able to see smb sessions with finger to bee
> > good and since it only will require few lines of code to implement, why
> > not?
>
> Ok - I spoke to Andrew about this and he has the same
> reaction that I did - we *really* don't want Samba creating
> stuff in /dev - not even if it's a symlink to /dev/null.
>
> It's one of those "we have no business doing things there"
> issues that will cause problems with administrators.
>
> So - you mention another option "fix utmp logging to behave
> like for example wu-ftpd".
>
> What does this involve ?
>
> Jeremy.
>
> --
> Buying an operating system without source is like buying
> a self-assembly Space Shuttle with no instructions.

Well with a quick symlink we can at least stop the diddling in /dev,
just create a link from /dev/smb to /var/lock/samba/dev-smb, and put the
files under that dir.  This might be less problamatic with the
sys-admins.

But I agree, not reinventing the wheel is certainly the prefered option
- if wu-ftp gets it right that is.

Andrew Bartlett
abartlet at pcug.org.au

abartlet at pcug.org.au