cohabiting Windows and OS/2 printer driver download

Jim McDonough jmcd at us.ibm.com
Wed Mar 7 19:37:57 GMT 2001

I've got an interesting situation here.  We're wanting the ability to have
a single printer have drivers for both OS/2 and Windows.  OS/2 downloads
drivers from the PRINTDRV share, and if you use the "printer driver ="
parameter to give the file name within that share, all (well, most of it)
works fine for OS/2.  The problem is...Windows and OS/2 might not have the
same printer driver file name.

The printer driver name seems to be passed around in windows structures,
like NT_PRINTER_DRIVER_INFO_3, which don't have any extra room for another
field for an OS/2 driver.  However, we can detect if the client is OS/2, so
theoretically, it should be possible to do this...but I haven't yet figured
out a reasonable way to do retrieve the desired printer driver.  Any
pointers would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Jim

Jim McDonough
Linux Technology Center