FW: Speed comp. TNG & 2.2.alpha (fwd)

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Tue Mar 6 01:08:35 GMT 2001

  [Andrew Bartlett]
> > It would be a pity if root suddenly got forgotten and the entire
> > system became owned (at least from the NT end) by nobody.

[Peter Samuelson]
> If you forget the root password you have other problems anyway.  What
> alternative do you have, from the NT end, besides treating root files
> as owned by "some unknown user" which is what 'nobody' will represent
> here?

Reading this again I realise that I wrote a bit confusedly here.  What
I meant is: if 'root' is an unknown user, the file access needs to be
mapped to something that means "some unknown user", which someone
proposed to be 'nobody'.

If the *same* unknown user is used for guest logons, it would
definitely be a Bad Thing.  This would be a mere configuration error,
but is worth mentioning lest someone make it.  To clarify: the smb.conf
'guest user' should never be the same as the Unix side of the
"wildcard" entry in the 'username map' file (or the equivalent via SURS
or some other SAM backend implementation).

Peter