FW: Speed comp. TNG & 2.2.alpha (fwd)

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Tue Mar 6 00:55:29 GMT 2001

[Andrew Bartlett]
> Is it just me, or does the idea of effectivly changing the owner of
> file to an arbitary user (nobody) which is normally used as a 'I
> can't break anything' user sound like a bad idea?

It's just you. (:

> It would be a pity if root suddenly got forgotten and the entire
> system became owned (at least from the NT end) by nobody.

If you forget the root password you have other problems anyway.  What
alternative do you have, from the NT end, besides treating root files
as owned by "some unknown user" which is what 'nobody' will represent
here?

None of this will affect your access from Unix, which is how you would
go about fixing such a situation anyway.

Peter