web page

Barry Smoke barry at arhosting.com
Thu Jun 21 20:20:51 GMT 2001

I am not a developer, just a very strong SAMBA supporter.  I have only been
on the list a short time, but I would like to say that this sort of thing
looks badly on the whole opensource community.  If you contributed code to
the SAMBA project, then credit for that code should appear in the sources.
If this code was submitted under the GPL, then it is open, and can be used
in the SAMBA project.  If you wanted to remain in control of your specific
code, you should have not submitted it under an opensource project in the
first place.  You could have taken the SAMBA source, and applied your code
changes, and forked the project.  Your forked project could have remained
closed source, as long as all of the source to the opensource parts remained
available to the public, and kany kchanges to the opensource parts of the
code were also made public.
I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but this is my understanding of the
GPL.

Actually, I looked on samba.org, and don't even see gpl mentioned....but it
is my understanding that this is an opensource run project....
anyway, I digress...

Just another View....
Barry Smoke
District Network Administrator