oplock_break: client failure in break ? / files locked forever(?)

Joel Sing jsing at origin.net.au
Wed Jun 20 15:16:09 GMT 2001

Hi All,

> > > [2001/06/12 08:02:53, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(768)
> > >   oplock_break: receive_smb timed out after 30 seconds.
> > >   oplock_break failed for file xxx/xxx/xxxx.xls (dev = 1601, inode =
> > > 870565).
> > > [2001/06/12 08:02:53, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(841)
> > >   oplock_break: client failure in oplock break in file xxxxx/xxxxxx.xls

I have a local primary school (mostly Windows NT4/95 machines) running a
samba based PDC as their main file server (Redhat 6.2, 2.4.0 kernel). The
system had been running fairly smoothly with samba 2.0.x for the last year
or so.

When samba 2.2.0 came out I decided to upgrade due to the additional
features. Couple of days later I got a call as no one could log in. The
server had run out of file handles and had basically ground to a holt
(there are hundreds of entries similar to the ones above in the logs). One
reboot later and things were running again. Next day same problem occurred
and 'ps' showed 181 copies of smbd running (only about 50 machines on the
network.) As a result I've rolled back to the previous version of samba -
everything is working again.

A resolution to this would be fantastic!

Cheers,

Joel

           => Joel Sing | jsing at origin.net.au | 0419 577 603 <=

     A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.