oplock_break: client failure in break ? / files locked forever(?)

Syzop syz at dds.nl
Tue Jun 19 18:12:13 GMT 2001

Martin Bahlinger wrote:

> Hy,
>
> > [2001/06/12 08:02:53, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(768)
> >   oplock_break: receive_smb timed out after 30 seconds.
> >   oplock_break failed for file xxx/xxx/xxxx.xls (dev = 1601, inode =
> > 870565).
> > [2001/06/12 08:02:53, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(841)
> >   oplock_break: client failure in oplock break in file xxxxx/xxxxxx.xls
>
> here we had the same problem with a samba 2.2.0 server and Win2k clients.
> Finally we found that no rpc.statd was running on the system and after
> installing it everything was fine.

Mmmm, we have a mix of w2k and NT clients, but the problem also exists with NT.
Isnt rpc.statd only used for NFS locking stuff?
At the dataserver we also run a NFS server, but at the apps server does not,
also disabling kernel oplocks did not help, so I think the problem is something else
with me :/.

> Curiously the problem occured only with MS-Office files as in your example
> above.

We also had it with Netscape (and maybe others),

Thanks for replying,

    Syzop.