Samba 2.2.0 problems editing ACLs via NT/Win9x

Mike Pain mtp at blaby.gov.uk
Mon Jun 4 10:45:23 GMT 2001

I have a problem in samba 2.2.0 (latest attempt was on the CVS version from 30/5/01) that I have previously posted, but without any response, not even commiserations 8-(.
We mainly have Win95/98 machines for our users, and would like to give the file authors the ability to control who can access their documents, but herein lies the problem.
I am trying to edit the ACLs on a RH7.0 linux server with the ACL patch installed from http://acl.bestbits.at, but although it now works fairly well from NT4 (browsing users only gives users in the smbpasswd file, but a search will give users from /etc/passwd), it won't work from the security tab on a Win9x machine with the SRVTOOLS package from the NT4 disks installed - clicking on any of the three buttons (Permissions, Auditing or Ownership) gives a "The procedure number is out of range error" and the samba logs (debug level 3) show:
smbd/ipc.c:api_fd_reply(292)
api_fd_reply: INVALID PIPE HANDLE: 0

The server has security = domain set and has been successfully added to the domain (NT4 PDC)

Has anyone seen this (or hopefully dealt with this), or is this a fundamental problem with win9x that is insurmountable?

BTW has the kill SIGUSR1/SIGUSR2 to change the debug level been removed? - it doesn't log the signal anymore (like under 2.0.x) and doesn't appear to have any effect.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

the system manager.

This message has been scanned for viruses.
Blaby District Council - 0116 275 0555