Disappearing automounted directories

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Thu Jul 19 19:58:03 GMT 2001

Mike Fedyk <mfedyk at matchmail.com> wrote:
| The nice thing about samba in this case, is that it doesn't
| hold any CWDs (current working directory, like in the shell)
| directories open after listing.  This way, autofs can unmount
| even with explorer viewing after a period of inactivity.

	It just might hold too **few** current directories open:
	the autofs on Solaris tends to time out directories
	that Samba is "in", and ls reports an empty directory.

	This tends to generate user reports about directories and
	files disappearing! team, do you recollect this
	discussion?

	The traditional avoidance is to set up a directory of
	symlinks to the automounted directories, and share
	that instead... but I wonder if holding a directory
	open might not be appropriate in specific cases?

--dave
Performance & Engineering Team | some people and astonish the rest.
Americas Customer Engineering  |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com