Group Special names

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Thu Jul 19 19:51:15 GMT 2001

Folks,

Samba has code for special handling of NetBIOS group names with a suffix
byte of 0xC1.  These names are sometimes called "Group Special" or "Domain
Group" names.  Most group names map to the limited broadcast address:
255.255.255.255.  0x1C names have a list of IPs associated with them, so
that as many as 25 group members can be identified at a time.

I've been doing some digging, and have come across something that talks
about "Internet Group" names.  When an Internet Group registered, three
names are actually sent to the WINS server.  These have suffixes 0x00,
0x03, and 0x20, respectively.  (Note the numbers, but also note that
these are group names.  Some sort of load balancing?)

Does anyone know:

- if these latter group name types are new with W2K?
- if we have code to support storing multiple IPs for these types?
- how Windows (any flavor) actually supports these?

Ever curious...

Chris -)-----