There's some misunderstanding

John E. Malmberg malmberg at Encompasserve.org
Wed Jul 11 20:42:56 GMT 2001

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Rafal Szczesniak wrote:

> Hello folks
>
> For quite a long time I observe lack of understanding
> (misuse ???) of what the samba-technical list is actually.
>
> "samba-technical Developer discussions about Samba internals"
>
> People often ask for help at this list. It would be nothing
> wrong if these were serious and well-described problems.
> But it's not, quite commonly. Sometimes these are trivial
> issues and they are probably posted because one may think
> that if most of the Samba Team developers are subscribers of the
> samba-technical then probability of positive and helpful
> answer is higher.
> For general questions and problems, AFAIK, there's "samba"
> list or similiar. Especially when (also quite common)
> answer is: read the man page or refer to the docs/ directory.
> Am I right or just bothering ?

When someone wanders here with a question more suited for the
samba list, the best procedure it to politely point them to
it, and possibly point out where the documentation page is.

There will always be those who are clueless, and seem to have
picked up this mailing list address from some search engine
and will shotgun questions to it, or people who have posted on
it.

This includes people who seem to think I can answer technical
questions about LINUX internals. :-)

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only