TESTLK32 locking test

David Brodbeck DavidB at mail.interclean.com
Thu Jul 5 15:47:17 GMT 2001

Think I've discovered something important about TESTLK32.  For a truely
rigorous test, you must be logged in with a different username on each
session you're running.  Here's the results of a two-machine testlock test,
with NT4 SP6 clients, on a samba server running the HEAD CVS from a few days
ago.  I was logged in as the SAME USER on both machines:

test        result   (test description)
-------     -------  -----------------------------------------------------
Test #1     Passed.  (Creating & modifying & deleting files)
Test #2     Passed.  (Examining & modifying file attributes)
Test #3     Passed.  (Enforced exclusive access, and share errors)
Test #4     Passed.  (Shared read access to files)
Test #5     Passed.  (Shared modify access to files)
Test #6     Passed.  (File commit)
Test #7     Passed.  (File region locking, and lock errors)
Test #8     Passed.  (Adjacent region locks, and lock/write conflicts)
Test #9     Passed.  (Appending & verifying new file sizes [NT 3.5 bug])
Test #10    Passed.  (Appending & verifying file sizes w/ closes)
Test #11    Passed.  (Appending & verifying file sizes w/ file commits)
Semaphore   Passed.  (semaphore-file kludge)
Test #3-B   Passed.  (Enforced exclusive access & share errors, 2-session)
Test #5&6-B Passed.  (Shared modify access & file commit, 2-session)
Test #7-B   Passed.  (File region locking, 2-session)

So far so good, right?

But here's what happens if I'm logged in AS A DIFFERENT USER on each
machine:

[...]
Test #5&6-B FAILED!  (Shared modify access & file commit, 2-session)
Test #7-B   FAILED!  (File region locking, 2-session)

Your system FAILED!

I can post the full, verbose output if anyone needs it, but this should be
very easy for anyone to reproduce.  The key is to make sure you're logged in
as a different username on each client machine you're using to run the test.

David Brodbeck, System Administrator
InterClean Equipment, Inc.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
davidb at mail.interclean.com