TESTLK32 locking test

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Thu Jul 5 20:00:00 GMT 2001

David Brodbeck wrote:

> Think I've discovered something important about TESTLK32.  For a truely
> rigorous test, you must be logged in with a different username on each
> session you're running.  Here's the results of a two-machine testlock test,
> with NT4 SP6 clients, on a samba server running the HEAD CVS from a few days
> ago.  I was logged in as the SAME USER on both machines:

> test        result   (test description)
> -------     -------  -----------------------------------------------------
> Test #1     Passed.  (Creating & modifying & deleting files)
> Test #2     Passed.  (Examining & modifying file attributes)
> Test #3     Passed.  (Enforced exclusive access, and share errors)
> Test #4     Passed.  (Shared read access to files)
> Test #5     Passed.  (Shared modify access to files)
> Test #6     Passed.  (File commit)
> Test #7     Passed.  (File region locking, and lock errors)
> Test #8     Passed.  (Adjacent region locks, and lock/write conflicts)
> Test #9     Passed.  (Appending & verifying new file sizes [NT 3.5 bug])
> Test #10    Passed.  (Appending & verifying file sizes w/ closes)
> Test #11    Passed.  (Appending & verifying file sizes w/ file commits)
> Semaphore   Passed.  (semaphore-file kludge)
> Test #3-B   Passed.  (Enforced exclusive access & share errors, 2-session)
> Test #5&6-B Passed.  (Shared modify access & file commit, 2-session)
> Test #7-B   Passed.  (File region locking, 2-session)
>
> So far so good, right?
>
> But here's what happens if I'm logged in AS A DIFFERENT USER on each
> machine:

> test        result   (test description)
> -------     -------  -----------------------------------------------------
> Test #1     Passed.  (Creating & modifying & deleting files)
> Test #2     Passed.  (Examining & modifying file attributes)
> Test #3     Passed.  (Enforced exclusive access, and share errors)
> Test #4     Passed.  (Shared read access to files)
> Test #5     Passed.  (Shared modify access to files)
> Test #6     Passed.  (File commit)
> Test #7     Passed.  (File region locking, and lock errors)
> Test #8     Passed.  (Adjacent region locks, and lock/write conflicts)
> Test #9     Passed.  (Appending & verifying new file sizes [NT 3.5 bug])
> Test #10    Passed.  (Appending & verifying file sizes w/ closes)
> Test #11    Passed.  (Appending & verifying file sizes w/ file commits)
> Semaphore   Passed.  (semaphore-file kludge)
> Test #3-B   Passed.  (Enforced exclusive access & share errors, 2-session)
> Test #5&6-B FAILED!  (Shared modify access & file commit, 2-session)
> Test #7-B   FAILED!  (File region locking, 2-session)
>
> Your system FAILED!

I just tested this with two different user-ids and it
passes. My guess is that you're running into permission
problems.

Remember that you need to allow both users to be able to
delete the semaphore file (directory must have write access
for both users) and also the file must be able to be written
by both users (I added "force create mode = 666" to the share
to ensure this was so).

I cannot reproduce this failure here, so I'm not going to
consider it a showstopper unless you can show me how you
reproduce it.

Regards,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.