[RFC] Authentication Rewrite

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Wed Jul 4 01:42:31 GMT 2001

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Gerald Carter wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> > Attached is a basic attempt to let people know what I am intending to do
> > with my 'Authentication Rewrite'.  It is by no means a formal document
> > (particularly given its title :-), but I hope it might draw some
> > comments.

> Implementation
>  ==============
>
> The implementation will deal with all authentications, including SHARE
> level (outside code will still need to determine the username), USER
> level, SERVER level (small hack required, specified challenge must be one
> sent by server) and DOMAIN level security.  Fallback to local can be
> arranged as normal.
>
> I have created a few new files, to separate this functionality into a
> single logical component.
>
> include/auth.h contains the type definitions, and smbd/auth.c contains the
> interface and functionality.
>
> auth.c may be split into 4, the generic interface, and the 3
> authentication back ends.
>
> This design allow for a lot of flexibility in the implementation -
> including default domains/no default domains as per the team's
> requirements.
>

> -------------------------------------
>

> Andrew,
>
> I don't see auth.h or auth.c in HEAD or SAMBA_2_2.  Have you
> checked them in?

Nope.  What I posted is my PLAN.  It's not yet implemented, I thought I
might see what people thought of it before I finished writing it.

So far it looks pretty good, but I'm moving reltivly large amounts of code
around, so I will need to be carefull.

(Preemtive documentation is a good thing, or so I am told :-)

abartlet at pcug.org.au
abartlet at samba.org