LSB compatible Samba ?

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Mon Jul 2 18:49:11 GMT 2001

"Christopher R. Hertel" wrote:

> Personally, I find the .deb system much more user friendly, workable,
> recoverable, intuitive...  Almost as good as the pkg_* system.  I find
> working with RPMs quite frustrating.

Yes - "personally". Remember you're a Samba developer.
You (and I) find raw source tarballs "friendly and workable".

> I really think that RPM is "winning" on the 600-pound gorilla principle,
> which is exactly what we are trying to avoid.

RedHat is not even an 6-pound chimp, let alone a 600-pound
gorilla. rpm has flaws, but it's GPL and fixable. What possible
justification is there for re-inventing an already running
wheel ? It did a lot of good to IBM AIX, HP HP-UX, SGI IRIX,
Digital DEC-UNIX, DG/UX, Uniware... the list is endless...
to re-invent stuff didn't it.

I have an idea for a new .sig.

"Those who did not live through UNIX history are doomed
to re-live it, painfully".

Jeremy.