smbpasswd in an LDAP directory

andrew morgan morgan at orst.edu
Mon Jul 2 04:49:05 GMT 2001

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, David Krovich wrote:

> Updated README file for storing smbpasswd in LDAP
> !==
> !== README File for storing smbpasswd in LDAP
> !==
> !== written by Gerald Carter <jerry at samba.org>
> !==
>
> This is a quick and dirty means of storing smbpasswd entries
> in smbpasswd.  Samba 2.2.x does not have any ability to grab
> this information directly from LDAP so you will need to
> periodically generate an smbpasswd from an ldapsearch
> "(objectclass=smbPasswordEntry)".
>
> Be aware of search limits on your client or server which prevent
> all entries from being returned in the search result.
>
> Pre-requisites
> --------------
> You must install Mozilla PerLDAP which is available at:
> http://www.mozilla.org/directory
>
> PerLDAP depends on the Netscape (aka iPlanet) C-SDK which is
> available for download at:
> http:// www.iplanet.com/downloads/developer/

I'd recommend basing your perl scripts on Net::LDAP instead of
Mozilla::LDAP.  Net::LDAP is actively maintained and does not depend on
any third party libraries (you do not need to install the iPlanet
libraries).  Actually, I use Net::LDAPS (SSL support), but it is the same
as Net::LDAP.

I've worked with both modules.  I started with Mozilla::LDAP, but I ran
into a bug in Mozilla::LDAP (it always tries to do LDAP replaces, even
when you specifically asked for an add).  So I decided to try out
Net::LDAP.  I haven't looked back.

I could probably help translate your scripts, if you are interested.

	Andy