problem adding shahms ldap patch

Simo Sorce idra at samba.org
Mon Jul 30 18:12:26 GMT 2001

To me, it resemble the BSD license.
The clause 2 does not seem to imply that the software based on OpenLDAP must be released withe this same licence, but only that the license must be included with the software.

checking on fsf site .....

uhm sad it seem that OpenLDAP Licence v 2.3 is NOT compatible with GPL,
here I report what I found on http://www.fsf.org/licenses/license-list.html

"The OpenLDAP License, Version 2.3.
    This is a permissive non-copyleft free software license with
    a few requirements (in sections 4 and 5) that render it
    incompatible with the GNU GPL.

    We urge you not to use the OpenLDAP license for software you
    write. However, there is no reason to avoid running programs
    that have been released under this license, such as OpenLDAP."

I'm trying to check if this is still valid with the current version (2.6) ...

uhm well I have read the 2.3 version and point 4 and 5 are different from the 2.6 version, so an advice from FSF may clear if now it is compatible or not (but honestly it does not seem so different :-( )

bye,
Simo.

Simo Sorce       idra at samba.org