problem adding shahms ldap patch

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Mon Jul 30 18:08:04 GMT 2001

Jeremy Allison wrote:

> The problem I see at the moment with the OpenLDAP patches
> is not a technical one, but political. Is the license for
> OpenLDAP (found here) :
>
> http://www.OpenLDAP.org/software/release/license.html
>
> compatible with the GPL ? I'm particularly worried about
> clause (2).
>
> Any opinions ?
>
> Jeremy.

Though I'm not a lawyer, I think the OpenLDAP license is compatible with
GPL.
It is even less restrictive, as it doesn't force the source code to be
publicly
available.

As for clause (2), I think it should be sufficient to "print" the
copyright statements
and the disclaimer to the screen on installation (in case of binary
distributions)
and ask the installer to accept or otherwise abort the install (just as
e.g. Adobe does
with UNIX FrameMaker distributions).

Helge
H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de