Problem with locking.tdb

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Tue Jul 24 15:02:14 GMT 2001

Hello Claus,
We are seeing this as well.  running the smbtorture test LOCK1
will show this (and other issues as well).  I'm not done with
my investigation, but at the moment, it APPEARS to be an issue
with the mmap implementation on HP-UX, and the fact that HP-UX
uses different caches for memory mapped file access as opposed
to filesystem (read/write) access to files.  Samba 'fails thru'
to read/write when it detects that the tdb->map_ptr value is
zero for tdb_write and tdb_read, but some other tdb calls (I
THINK) are still accessing via the mmapped address.  According to
the man page for mmap, mmap should never map to 0, but additional
debug statements I have added to the code indicate that in some
circumstances, IT IS doing this.  Until we
get this resolved, you can probably workaround this problem
by changing the lines (there are 2 of them):

#define HAVE_MMAP 1

in the include/config.h file

and then doing a "make clean",
and then a "make"
to rebuild samba WITHOUT mmap support.

Let me know if this doesn't do it for you.
Don