libsmb and the cli_ routines and libsmbclient connection handling

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Fri Jan 26 00:49:24 GMT 2001

At 09:51 AM 1/26/01 +1100, Tim Potter wrote:
>Richard Sharpe writes:
>
>> >I've basically hacked all the NT pipe specific stuff out of the
>> >cli_state structure and into a cli_pipe_state structure.  This
>> >structure also contains a pointer to a cli_state which can be
>> >shared amongst pipe users:
>>
>> OK, what you describe is something like what I want to do, but it seems
>> like there is too much risk of breakage if I change the way things are done
>> at the moment.
>
>Yes.  There is a whole lot of NETLOGON stuff that relies on the
>existing cli_state stuff having all the right bits and pieces
>there.  It should just be a matter of converting it to use the
>new API but it's something that's going to need careful testing
>to make sure some other random bits of Samba don't break.

Well, the only things that are needed by later routines that I use are:

  cli->cnum
  cli->share
  cli->dev

And there are 32 uses of cli->cnum scattered through mostly the libsmb code,
so it might not be as hard as I thought.

So, it might not be too hard to create a struct share_struct that has all
the needed stuff, plus a pointer to the cli_state that keeps the connection
and other stuff in it ... and then pass the right things later ...

Interestingly, there are two references to cli_send_tconX in DEBUG
statements in rpc_client/ntclienttrust.c, but there are no actual calls to
cli_send_tconX in that source file :-)

>> An alternative is to implement a parallel set of routines that do what I
>> want to do, but do not disturb the existing functionality.
>
>You might be able to do something with #define OLD_NTDOMAIN and
>NEW_NTDOMAIN to have both interfaces existing at the same time.
>I haven't looked to closely at it though.
>

>Tim.

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com