Winbind Default Auth Domain?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Tue Jan 23 19:05:14 GMT 2001

> [whoops - forgot to cc the list]
>
> Kevin Colby writes:
>
> > Is there any existing method for setting a default auth domain
> > for winbind?
>
> The 'workgroup' parameter in the smb.conf file should specify
> which domain winbind authenticates against.

Tim,

Yes, that would be the normal default.  During discussions regarding the
libsmbclient library Richard Sharpe suggested the development of an
SMB:// URL format.  As part of that, we discovered the disparity between
'workgroup of which the system is a member' and 'NT Domain used for
authentication'.

In most cases, these are the same but there are large known installations
which centralize authentication to a single NT Domain and then use trust
relationships to allow users to access services on their local NT Domains
(or on other, remote NT Domains).

So, the suggestion was made that we add a[n]

  [CLIENT ]AUTH[ORIZATION] DOMAIN

parameter to smb.conf.  Kevin's suggestion provides more reason for
adding this parameter.

Chris -)-----