Adding a feature to the smbd

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Sun Jan 21 22:17:23 GMT 2001

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> At 06:23 PM 1/21/01 +0100, Thomas Langås wrote:
> >Simo Sorce:
> >> Yes, I've forgotten to say "if you have not too much IPs" ;)
>
> >> I've also been employed in such a network (in an Italian university) and
>
> >> it is not so enjoyable to have hundreds of symlinks.
>

> >No, it isn't :-)
> >
> >> Another way I'm thinking of is to have a different samba configuration
> for
> >> every lab maybe using netbios aliases, this way every lab may have it's
>
> >> own shares and profiles. But this really depend on your configuration
> and,
> >> may be, not suitable.
>

> >We're gonna use this patch for profile shares, and we have a central
> >userdatabase with _all_ students (roughly 20000) and _all_ employees (don't
> >know the exact number there), and we set the profile-directory there as
> >something like:
> >\\%profileserver%\%profileshare%\%U%\%profiletype%
> >
> >Then, this is set on each client computer. And now, that we're having
> >profiles over samba this becomes:
> >\\sambaservers\%profileshare%\%U%\%profiletype%
> >
> >So up untill now, we've been doing this like this:
> >\\sambaservers\profilxxx\%U%\%profiletype%
> >
> >Where profilxxx was for each lab. This isn't actually a very good solution
> >since we need to maintain a lot of shares. This is when I thought of giving
> >samba the ability of a dynamic-share, which resulted in the patch. So after
> >the weekend we're gonna start using this:
> >
> >\\sambaservers\profiles\%U%\%profiletype%
> >
> >Where the [profiles]-share will be a dynamic share.
>
> OK, now I understand ... This can actually be done with existing facilities
> in Samba, in a two step process.
>
> In [profiles] you can use environment variables in the path:
>
>   [profiles]
>     path = /some/path/%$(PROFILE_PATH)
>
> You set up a file in a root exec for the netlogon share, as you are
> probably logging on ... and then you use the 'source environment' parameter
> before the path parameter in your [profiles] share to read the environment
> variable.
>
> If you want more info on using environment variables in macros, have a look
> at Special Edition, Using Samba.

Well reading the man it seem you does not need even the root exec as
you only need to set
source environment = |/path/to/dynamic/profile/script.sh %I
and let the script output environment variabile to standard output.

--
Simo Sorce - Linux Systems Consultant
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel: +39 0348 7149179 - Fax: +39 02 700442399