Forms, print queues and tdb

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Mon Jan 15 16:27:44 GMT 2001

Damian Ivereigh wrote:

> I reckon I have found it! It is NT 4.0 being the evil one. The problem
> is that
> these machines were originally connected to Samba 1.9.17 and they do
> indeed
> poll. When I swap in the new Samba they continue to poll only now each
> time
> they do it costs the machine a lot more. Even if you kill the smbd's
> NT just
> reconnects. At least win95 puts the printer into "work-offline mode"
> and stops
> polling.

Ah - ok. Is it possible to remove these printers from the
client and re-add them with a 2.2 server ? The problem is
that NT has flagged the server as being a lanman only server,
and stores this in the registry attached to the printer info.

This is the stuff that needs cleaning out on the client in
order for it to move to the new NT method of lpq notify.

Alternatively if you can't do this, we might be able to move
to caching the response rather than trawling the tdb each time,
I'll have to look at the code to learn more here.

Jeremy.