I think MS just did us (and themselves) a disservice.

Welsh, Armand armand.welsh at sscims.com
Wed Jan 10 00:18:14 GMT 2001

We know it's in the client, because terminal server allows multiple users to
each authenticate against the remote machines, regardless of the type of
machine, using their own user acocunts.  If it was per server, every server
would have had to of been updated to support terminal server.  So know that
Terminal Server is multi-user, and backwards compatible with all prior smb
systems, we can safely conclude that it's not the server, but the client.