I think MS just did us (and themselves) a disservice.

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed Jan 10 00:10:48 GMT 2001

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> > no. the limitation is client side :)
>
> Ah.  So it's a Windows client can only connect once per share.
>
> Now I'm more confused.  Since the Microsoft clients are one-user-at-a-time,
> how often would you need to connect to the same share using two sets of
> credentials?

   I don't have a Windows box handy here but when you connect to a Share
there is usually a 'Connect As' button. I'm not sure if it's there in
all versions of Windows but I'm sure it's there in NT 4, and if I
remember correctly it was there in NT 3.51 too.

   In fact I don't know if the problem is in the client or in the
server. What I do know is I have seen this error message before and it
was on Windows. I'm also relatively sure that it did not matter whether
the server was Samba or NT so it would seem to confirm what Anders C.
Thorsen, i.e. that the the client side does not support it. But I would
not be surprised if the server were unable to support it either (why
support it in the server if the clients don't support it?).

     Linux, WinNT, MS-DOS - also known as the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.