I think MS just did us (and themselves) a disservice.

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Jan 9 22:28:06 GMT 2001

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, David Collier-Brown wrote:
[...]
>         The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of
>         credentials.
[...]
>    previous connection(s) to the server. This behavior is by design
>    for security purposes.
> ---
>
>   Previously we were able to connect by providing a different
> userid and password on the "net use" line.  Can someone confirm
> this is really gone on Windows 2000?

   This has been there since at least NT 3.51. I've never been able to
connect to a server with two different ids.

   Also, despite what they say, I suspect it's not for security reasons
but truely because of _bad_ design. Or at least it must be simpler for
them to handle it that way.

   So their last sentence is a half-truth.

The nice thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing quite respectable
                                  -- Paul Dean