I think MS just did us (and themselves) a disservice.

acherry at pobox.com acherry at pobox.com
Tue Jan 9 20:39:30 GMT 2001

I don't think this is new to Windows 2000 - I've seen it several times in
Windows NT 4.0.  (Maybe it only exists above a specific service pack
level).  You can connect to different servers using different
credentials, but you can't use more than one set of credentials per
server.  They must make a special exception for multiplexed SMB
connections.

Believe it or not, you can get around this by connecting to the same
server using a NETBIOS alias, fully-qualified hostname, or even the IP
address!.  Now THAT'S security!! :-)