Browsing and code page.

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Mon Jan 8 18:45:50 GMT 2001

"Christopher R. Hertel" wrote:

> Jeremy,
>
> Can you give some more high-level detail on this?  Does it affect NetBIOS
> naming as well?

Yes. All the libsmb/XXX functions are designed to take
UNIX codepage format (ISO-8859-X) and then will convert
to DOS character set (CP-850 etc.) for on the wire transport,
then convert any strings back to UNIX character set on
exit. If you don't do this then any extended characters
in the NetBIOS naming are screwed up. The Japanese Samba
users group tests this very thoroughly (as do I usually).

With all this new code in libsmb we need to be very careful
to make sure this is not broken (it works in 2.0.7 and 2.2).

> Point me to docs???

The code is the doc :-).

Jeremy.