More libsmbclient.so code released

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Fri Jan 5 20:48:23 GMT 2001

Mike,

Ulf runs the AmigaSamba web site.  What I think he is saying is that
porting KDE to Amiga would not scale well.  He's right.  Even porting
Samba to the Amiga is like sitting an elephant onto a lillypad.  With
carefully written code, the Amiga is both fast and efficient.  Samba and
KDE are written for the Linux/Unix environment, which is a very different
environement.  What works well on Unix does not work well on the Amiga
though, strangely, the reverse is not true.

Having worked on Amigas for a long time, and consulted for the company for
9 months in 2000, I know a bit about how the system works.  Things have to
be much tighter and much more carefully tied to the hardware.  In some
ways it's like working on an embedded system.  For one thing, the Amiga
has a single, flat memory space.  No memory protection and no swapping.
Another issue is that shared libraries on the Amiga must be reentrant.

Fortunately, one of the people who worked on the latest releases of the
Amiga OS is also the one porting Samba to Amiga, and he has also written
an Amiga-only smb client filesystem.

There is a lot of new code being generated.  There is code that goes
along with my documentation, too.

Chris -)-----