libsmbclient: Browsing and a URI spec?

Welsh, Armand armand.welsh at sscims.com
Thu Jan 4 23:33:01 GMT 2001

Because

-> -----Original Message-----
-> From: Steve Langasek [mailto:vorlon at netexpress.net]
-> Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2001 3:18 PM

-> In fact, there is at least one parameter in smb.conf which
-> is used almost
-> entirely as a client configuration option: 'name resolve
-> order'.  As a server,
-> samba rarely has occasion to resolve netbios names to IPs
-> (this will happen in
-> security = server or security = domain when locating the
-> authentication
-> server, but that's about it).  OTOH, smbclient needs this

I beleive you are correct.  I stand corrected.  The 'name resolve order' is
mostly client based.

-> unless you explicitly provide the -I <IP> option.  There are
-> other global
-> settings in smb.conf which are equally useful to both
-> smbclient and to
-> smbd/nmbd, so I can't agree that smb.conf is exclusively a
-> server config file.

but it is still primarily a server config file. :)

-> Moreover, many of these config options that are used by both
-> client and server
-> are going to be set to the same values for both Samba and
-> libsmbclient-using
-> apps.  Why require an admin to specify the 'name resolve
-> order' or the 'wins
-> server' two different ways in two different config files?

only, if you rely on smb.conf file, then you will have defaults.  This means
that if won't be able to browse for smb:// because it will pickup the
default, which is set currently is smb.conf.  hmmmm.. I just see it as not
being as versatile, since you will always have a default.  the nice thing
about having a seperate file is that you can have a null domain, and a null
workgroup, regardless of how the server works.  you can even have the
workgroup and domain totally seperate of what samba uses, providing more
flexability.

Perhaps allowing the use of smb.conf as a default config file, then using an
smbc.conf as localized (global) defaults for the client, then you only have
to decide, how to handle the SPECIAL case where the client and the server
share the smb.conf file.

I say, do as samba does... default to both workgroup and domain to the
workgroup value in smb.conf.