libsmbclient: Browsing and a URI spec?

Kevin Colby kevinc at grainsystems.com
Thu Jan 4 21:01:31 GMT 2001

"Christopher R. Hertel" wrote:

> Anyway, the addition of an 'auth domain' parameter to Samba would not
> change the behavior of Samba itself since Samba acts as a server.
> It would provide information to smbclient and to libsmbclient.

Here is the issue.  If you look at the URI formats suggested, you'll
notice that "workgroup" and "domain" (in this context) are two potentially
different, optional parameters:
  smb://[workgroup]/
  smb://[[[domain;]user[:password]@]server[:port]][/share[/path[/file]]]

I get the feeling that there is demand for a library-wide configuration
of some sort of all optional parameters.  Therefore, you need to have a
way to set _both_ of these things.

Now, there has also been mention of inheriting smb.conf parameters,
assuming this machine is not only a client, but also a server.  Great,
but smb.conf only has "workgroup", and as far as I can tell, that is
all it needs.  The solution is simple.  One or the other of these must
be "workgroup" in order to inherit smb.conf's settings and not totally
confuse admins.  The other should be called something else, hopefully
something more specific in meaning.

The question is, "If an SMB client inherited the same machine's server's
"workgroup" parameter, what should it mean to the client?"  Does it mean
that the client should by default send "workgroup\user" as auth info
or does it mean the client should default browse to "workgroup"?  If
those are the same thing, no problem, but in the case where they are not,
what does "workgroup" in smb.conf mean?

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc at grainsystems.com