libsmbclient: Browsing and a URI spec?

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Thu Jan 4 19:22:22 GMT 2001

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Welsh, Armand wrote:

> Querying to workgroup, I see that I am listed in the workgroup welshhome
> $ nmblookup welshhome -T
> querying welshhome on 192.168.2.255
> nelson, 192.168.2.102 welshhome<00>
> bart, 192.168.2.100 welshhome<00>
> homer, 192.168.2.1 welshhome<00>

> yet, I can alter where I authenticate, which is what I think is being asked
> for...

> at the linux prompt:
> $ smbclient //nelson/c$ -U administrator -W nelson
> added interface ip=192.168.2.1 bcast=192.168.2.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
> added interface ip=127.0.0.1 bcast=127.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
> Password:
> Domain=[WELSHHOME] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
> smb: \> quit

But this is all done on the server.  All the client does is send a different
set of credentials (domain+user+password) to the server, and the *server*
decides how to verify the authenticity of those credentials.  There's no way
for you to tell an SMB server "I have these credentials Y\Z, you can verify
them against server X."  The server has to KNOW, based on trust relationships
and/or server configuration, how to verify those credentials.

> So the question is, I think, should samba support participating in workgoup
> lookps for multiple workgroups, and be able to be registerd in an
> authentication domain that is seperate from it's workgroups?

This is really a non-issue with Samba itself, because the answer is that Samba
already can appear in multiple workgroups other than its own domain.  For
libsmbclient, providing this functionality will require adding new
configuration parameters (to smb.conf, or elsewhere).

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer