libsmbclient: Browsing and a URI spec?

Welsh, Armand armand.welsh at sscims.com
Thu Jan 4 17:56:10 GMT 2001

I think, yes...

in smb.conf I have:
[global]
workgroup = WELSHHOME
netbios name = HOMER
security = domain

Querying to workgroup, I see that I am listed in the workgroup welshhome
$ nmblookup welshhome -T
querying welshhome on 192.168.2.255
nelson, 192.168.2.102 welshhome<00>
bart, 192.168.2.100 welshhome<00>
homer, 192.168.2.1 welshhome<00>

yet, I can alter where I authenticate, which is what I think is being asked
for...

at the linux prompt:
$ smbclient //nelson/public
smb: \> quit

also at the linux prompt:
$ smbclient //nelson/c$ -U administrator -W nelson
added interface ip=192.168.2.1 bcast=192.168.2.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
added interface ip=127.0.0.1 bcast=127.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
Password:
Domain=[WELSHHOME] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
smb: \> quit

So in both cases, I can authenticate specify where to authenticate, the
workgroup is just the default authenticator.  But I can still authenticate
where I want, the way I want, just as in NT.

So the question is, I think, should samba support participating in workgoup
lookps for multiple workgroups, and be able to be registerd in an
authentication domain that is seperate from it's workgroups?