libsmbclient: Browsing and a URI spec?

Welsh, Armand armand.welsh at sscims.com
Thu Jan 4 17:05:38 GMT 2001

well, the domain that authenticates you, is responsible for determining what
resources you are authorized, since the resource, whether in a workgroup, or
trusted domain, must verify who you are off from the PDC of the
authenticating domain.  So with that in mind, the only place the workgroup
is of any benfit, is browsing.

Accessing shares requires only authentication information
(domain/username/password) and resource to be accessed
(host/share/dir/file).  The workgroup is not needed in this case.

Now, in the case of samba, to use workgroup AND domain, would mean that
samba can run in a sort of hybrid mode.  Since NT systems can only belong
(or be listed in) one workgroup (for domain accounts, this is the domain)
they will not be listed alternat workgroups, as participants; so in for
samba to do this, would be like having a system that can run in a hybrid (NT
and Win9x) mode at the same time.    The only way NT systems can access
workgroups beyond the domain, is by having an NT server specificlly publish
the existance of these domains to clients, or by useing netbios broadcast
discovery of workgroups for browsing.  If you are on any large network,
w/multiple subnets, the broadcast method will only expose workgroups within
the local subnet, which brings us back to needing an NT server to make the
systems aware of the additional workgroups.

so, in conclusion, my ramblings are trying to say, it can be done, but it
would not follow suite with microsoft way of handling domains/workgroups.
What would be nice, is for samba to allow the option of broadcasting the
existance of additional workgroups, just as NT Server does.