ERROR: Out of policy handles

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Thu Jan 4 14:30:13 GMT 2001

"MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1)" wrote:

> Hi Jerry,
> Thanks for the info.  HP's version of Samba is based on
> the 2.0.6 version of the code, so we DON'T use it as
> PDC.  The majority of our customers seem to use it
> in domain security mode, passing authentication to the
> NT PDC.  On HP-UX 11.0, we ship Samba (we call it
> CIFS/9000 SERVER) with the OS & Apps cd's, so all our
> 11.0 customers have free access to it.  (We also ship a
> CIFS/9000 CLIENT free, which gives you similar
> capabilities to smbmount/smbumount).  But because
> of supportability issues we ask our customers NOT to
> make changes and recompile.  I'm going to discuss with the
> lab that we increase this limit to 256 in the base code
> tree, and start shipping it out that way.  I need to look
> at what kind of additional memory per smbd that
> requires, but I agree that with the number
> of people running into this, and the W2K Terminal
> Services growing in popularity, this limit is too low.
> Perhaps you might do the same thing in the 2.2 source tree?

The memory requirments are minimal as far as the bitmap goes
(1 byte for every 32 available handles).  Policy handles
are also small (20 bytes if IIRC).

You should probably see JF's comments.  256 is probably
way to small as well.  we need a reproducible test case
to work out a good number.

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org